Independent Christian Voice

Thursday

It's raining. Must be time for the State Fair.

It's raining outside right now — in buckets. It's no surprise that the State Fair opens today. Like clockwork, one cues the other. Some years the State Fair cues the rain. Others, like this one, the rain signals the return of the State Fair. But, this fact doesn't deter visitors who typically show up despite the rain. There's something about the State Fair that draws people. For me, it's a special time to spend with family, enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of the carnival-like atmosphere. My wife and girls enjoy all the craft exhibits. I enjoy the food. We go see the animals. I go find the food. We'll look at all the new cars in the Transportation Building. I look at all the food. Corn dogs, grilled corn on the cob, giant barbecued turkey legs, funnel cakes, Indian tacos, Polish sausage, elephant ears, deep fried Snickers bars. It's heart attack on a stick (or on a plate). But it's so good. And the smell is intoxicating. It beckons me every September. It taunts me the other 50 weeks of the year. There could be no fair without the food. It's a visual, olfactory and gustatory feast. Typically, I come back from the Fair feeling miserable. My legs are tired from all the walking. Sometimes, if it's sunny, I'll come back with a little bit of a sunburn. And my stomach aches from all the food. I think I'll grab the Tums, the Pepcid and the Pepto-Bismol and head off to the Fair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home