Independent Christian Voice

Tuesday

Quotes to Ponder...

I get very tired of being labeled a "liberal" when the clear intent by some is to discredit me by using the word. I will not deny I am liberally minded on some topics but would be labeled a "conservative" by "liberals" on other topics. I would like to believe that I can decide for myself (with the guide of the Holy Spirit) where I should fall on any given topic without needing to look at any political group to understand where I should fall on the issue. As I often connect with the word "conservative", I am not sure this is the antagonist to the word "liberal" (at least not how it is used in this country in this day and age). I think a better antagonist in the current climate is the word "fundamentalist" and I think it would accurately describe who is driving the shift in this country over the past few years. Lest one take offense at the word "fundamentalism", I will begin with a definition and one can decide for themselves whether they fall into this camp. Fundamentalism 1 a often capitalized : a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching b : the beliefs of this movement c : adherence to such beliefs 2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles Now, some quotes to ponder... Fundamentalism, it is often said, is taking religion too seriously. The answer, in this view, is to take it less seriously. That conventional wisdom is wrong. The best response to fundamentalism is to take faith more seriously than fundamentalism sometimes does. The best response is to critique by faith the accommodations of fundamentalism to theocracy and violence and power and to assert the vital religious commitments that fundamentalists often leave out-namely compassion, social justice, peacemaking, religious pluralism, and I would say democracy as a religious commitment. - Jim Wallis I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony The main doctrine of a fanatic's creed is that his enemies are the enemies of God. - Andrew White Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. - Mark Twain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home